Titanium-coated needles have been available for longarm and industrial machines for many years but these are the first titanium-coated Topstitch style needles made for home machines. Superior Threads (USA) and Organ Needle Company (Japan) have applied the latest technology of titanium-coated needles to the Topstitch style for home machines. Because these titanium-coated needles have an ultra thin coat of titanium nitride, they will stay sharper longer and outlast any current Topstitch needle on the market - 5 to 8 times longer than a standard machine needle!
Why Topstitch? The Topstitch needle is the most common needle type used and recommended by professionals and educators. We recommend the Topstitch for piecing, quilting, embroidery, appliqué, and construction. These needles are available in four sizes to accommodate all thread types, including metallic threads. The Topstitch needle has a larger eye and deeper groove. It is often referred as the MAGIC NEEDLE. It really does make a difference in your sewing experience.
Superior's Titanium-coated needles are recommended by the pros for sewing, quilting, embroidery, clothing construction, piecing, and more. A thin layer of titanium-nitride is plated on the needle in the final step. This coating doesn't make the needle stronger (in terms of tensile strength), it keeps the point sharper, longer.
- Titanium-nitride is very tough substance and has excellent abrasion resistance.
- Topstitch needles have a larger eye than other needle styles. It is nearly twice as long as the eye on a Universal needle. This extra space allows the thread to have more space to move, which reduces friction and results in fewer thread breaks.
- There is also a deeper and wider groove on Topstitch needle. This helps keep thread close to the needle and reduces friction from rubbing against the fabric.
- 70/10 needles for fine fabrics, piecing, applique and embroidery,
- 80/12 needles for general sewing or thick embroidery and applique, and the
- 90/14 for heavy fabric or many layers of fabric, such as quilting.